Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Manhattan Room



How would you describe the Manhattan Room? My first thought is "Wow, what a great view and space to have a meal." I would imagine that is many of your first impressions as well. The only problem is that there is nobody in it....ever. How can this be?

At first I couldn't understand why the room wasn't being utilized. Is it too cramped? Does no one enjoy the dining experience anymore? Surely there has to be a rhyme or reason why our membership isn't taking advantage of the best view in Manhattan each weekend. After reading a few surveys, it became apparent that our membership feels the room has lacked "atmosphere" since the renovation in 2006 which removed the signature fireplace.

I don't know about you, but it takes a lot more than a fireplace to bring me back for a nice meal. Hundreds of the finest clubs and steakhouses around the country lack a fireplace, yet they are successful. Obviously, I was not around in the Manhattan Rooms hay day when the staple fireplace was in operation, so I cannot speak to the difference between now and then.

My guess is that atmosphere has something to do with it, but certainly is not the key contributor to the decline of the Manhattan Room. Was there poor service? Perhaps. Was the food too expensive? I don't know. My solution: Let's have the Manhattan Room ready for service at all times. If you haven't had a chance to swing by lately, I encourage you to peek into the Manhattan Room and see for yourselves the kind of atmosphere we have created simply by setting and rearranging tables.

If you like what you see, give us a chance to make your dinner an experience. Invite a few friends and peers up to join you at the table. Who knows, you might actually enjoy yourself to spread the word about your evening. I'm excited about the opportunity the Manhattan Room presents for us as a Food and Beverage Department. Our staff is eager to get up and running this Spring.

As always, if you have comments or suggestions, my door is always open.