Wednesday, February 16, 2011

How to Manage Complaints

Complaints: We all have them, but not all of us vocalize them. On the other side of that, many do not have any issue sharing their thoughts and opinions about various situations and ideas. I have heard my fair share of complaints about the club since my arrival in early January and while I enjoy getting feedback, it isn't always well communicated.

What do I mean by that? I mean that there isn't always enough information that is helping us derive the heart of the issue. Often times, I will get food sent back or comments about the food that are very general. For instance someone might say "the meal I had yesterday was terrible."

While this is good to know, it doesn't explain what was terrible. Was it the flavor? Was it the size? Was it drastically different from the last time I ordered this item? If yes, then how so? Inconsistency is another word I hear thrown around a lot. What was inconsistent?

Obviously, we all have different opinions of different dishes and, most likely, we all have a favorite. One persons idea of a spicy dish may be another persons bland or salty. It is important to recognize that one persons opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the other 600 members. If the dish is, in fact, too spicy then how do we determine the common theme? The answer: Documentation

The next time you are at the club and are not enjoying a dish for whatever reason, please let your server know. They will be documenting any and all issues in detail for our management staff and cooks. If you don't like it or it is different than the last time you ate, please tell us why or how exactly it is different.

Please know that we are attempting to confront the issue of poor food head-on. Our service staff and managers will go through menu items prior to lunch/dinner shifts and actually taste what will be coming out. It is our job, then, to give feedback to Chef and cooks before the same meal hits the plate for our members. Not only will this hold us accountable for good food, it will teach our staff more about the menu and its preparation.

I hope everyone will begin to find that documenting complaints and food tastings is a mutually beneficial practice. Please let me know if you have further comments on this topic. I'd like to get your input. Until next time...